Henry Martin (1835 – 1908)
Watercolour. Signed. Inscribed verso.
7” x 5” (17.8 cm x 12.7 cm)
Henry Martin, who was born in London, was working in Newlyn as early as 1871, a decade before the arrival of the illustrious artists who created The Newlyn School. Indeed, Martin was the only artist listed as resident in Newlyn at the time of the 1871 census. He painted coastal landscapes and scenes of fishing life and spent 12 years in West Cornwall before moving to Plymouth and Saltash. He exhibited at the leading galleries, including The Royal Academy, The Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours and The Royal Society of British Artists and also took part in The Newlyn Art Gallery opening exhibition in 1895.