Charles E. Hannaford, RBA (1863 – 1955)
12” x 17½” (30.5 cm x 44.5 cm)
Charles E. Hannaford was a marine and landscape painter, who studied in London and Paris and was later taught by Stanhope Forbes. Before becoming a full-time artist, he had careers in engineering and architecture. At the age of 17 he was articled to the Plymouth Borough Engineer and in 1888 he was elected to The Institute of Civil Engineers. He practised architecture in South Wales, but gave up this career in 1897 and moved back to Plymouth. He became a highly successful artist, painting for the Royal Family and exhibiting at The Royal Academy, The Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours, The Royal Cambrian Academy and The Royal Society of British Artists, of which he was elected a member in 1916. He later lived in Sussex, London and Norfolk.