The Fishing Fleet, St. Ives
William Cox (1866 – 1939)
17½” x 21½” (44.5 cm x 54.6 cm) oval.
William Cox worked for more than 50 years for Holman Brothers, the celebrated firm of Cornish mining engineers, which was founded in 1801. He was employed as a draughtsman in the Art and Publicity Department at Camborne and, alongside this, he developed a considerable reputation locally as an artist. He named his son William Garstin Cox, after the Newlyn School painter, Norman Garstin. Father and son shared a studio at St. Ives from 1907 and both were tutored by the Lamorna and St. Ives painter, John Noble Barlow (1861 – 1917).